I started running just to prove I could do it. I had a few friends who were running half marathons and marathons and I just wanted to prove to myself I could do it too, if I wanted. Just once, of course. I started and could barely run 2 miles. As each week passed, I couldn't believe that I was able to keep up with the training plan. Twelve weeks later, I finished my first half marathon and immediatley wanted to do another, so I did. I loved the competitive spirit of racing and it made working out more fun.

Soon after, this happened. The stress took a toll on my body, and consequently my running took a serious hit. As in, completely stopped. I remember putting on my running clothes to get out and relieve the stress and only being able to walk. It was another thing I had lost. When the dust settled and I gained some strength, I started back with that same 2 miles. I remember texting one of my best friends, "It feels so good to be back!"
I started training for Mercedes and is it got closer it became increasingly symbolic for me - that I had come out the other side and was strong again. I remember telling this to Matt, feeling just as cheesy as I do now typing it, and him relaying that he had thought the same thing. Try writing that on a conversation heart....and just in time for Valentines Day. I ran my best time ever that year, and will never forget how good I felt after.
Since then, Matt has run nearly every race with me, and most every run. He's only beat me a couple of times:)

Running has been a part of the worst and best parts of my life. Do I absolutely love getting out in the freezing cold or burning heat? No. Can I imagine my life without it? Absolutely not.
I love the challenge. I love how there are good days that make you feel accomplished, and bad days to remind you of how much work you have to do. Climbing a hill and speeding back down. Crossing the finish line and drinking a cold beer. The competition with yourself is always new. Which can also be a little annoying, if I'm being honest.
And some good rap on the iPod doesn't hurt either.Happy race weekend!

2 comments:
Great post! :)
Love this post, Erin! I have been running a little (and I do mean a little) in the past few months. I mostly started doing it to lose weight...I have never loved running, or really exercise of any kind. But, like you, I started out kind of slow (and skeptical) and now it's more like something that I look forward to doing each day. I have been slacking a bit in the past couple of weeks...Cooper has been driving me nuts and it is taking a bit of a toll on me (which is what I have been writing about on my blog!). I feel exhausted all the time. Your post really spoke to me and made feel that motivation again. No more excuses for not running this weekend! Glad to see you and Matt are doing so well :-)
Post a Comment